Friday, April 3, 2009

The Y Lady and The Treadmill

This could be my favorite story of the year...

I loaded up the kids tonight and headed to the YMCA for a workout. I had no idea the pure giddiness joy that was going to come from the event that I was about to encounter.

I had been on an elliptical with headphones in my ears for about 30 minutes when I heard this loud screaming/ screeching noise. My first thought was, "Holy crap! Gotta get the kids. Something's wrong here." Then I turned around to see what was going on.

There was a woman, I would guess in her 50's, who had tripped on her treadmill. The problem was that she didn't let go. She was hanging on to the hand grips on the sides of the treadmill, her legs had slipped. So, picture this... she's hanging on, her feet dangling off the edge of the treadmill, screaming as loud as she could, and the treadmill was still going.

Then, all of a sudden... Whoosh!... The treadmill sucks her pants right off. Now, she's hanging on, screaming, feet dangling, no pants, just white silky granny panties.

The whole gym had stopped.

I've never seen anything like this happen before. Finally, someone was able to stop the treadmill, and someone helped her find her pants and get them back on.

Once I realized she was okay, I became very tickled. You know, the kind where you're trying so hard not to laugh that you start having tears form in your eyes. I tried to resume exercising, but I couldn't. I had no strength, all my strength was going to trying not to laugh.

Yes, I am one of those people who laugh when the guy trips, falls off the bike, etc. It's funny. It's really really funny. (I also laugh at myself when things like this happen to me. It's funny.)

I will never, ever, forget the pants being sucked off the woman hanging onto the treadmill screaming at the Y.

2 comments:

Scott and Sara said...

That is hilarious! Can't wait to tell Scott - he'll laugh so hard!

Unknown said...

laughing out loud..thanks for sharing