Friday, January 16, 2009

The Day After

Parker woke up in a great mood. He watched Little Einsteins just like normal. I told him that we were going to get in the car and go see the eye doctor again. He said, "We can't go to the doctor. We can't." He kept saying it as we drove to the doctor's office. The appointment went well. We got to see pictures and a video of the surgery. Parker cried every time the doctor looked at him. But, he could see. We're not really sure to what extent. His eye should continue to gain vision and heal for the next month. I do know that it did something because after the appointment, Parker kept rubbing his left eye (not the one that's been corrected) and saying that his eye was dirty. So, I think he can now tell that the cataract is messing up his vision in his left eye, making it look "dirty". And, that means his right eye is better.

We just started our drops routine. 12 a day and they cannot be at the same time. It's really hard. I hate making my son scream. And, it physically takes 2 of us to do it. I'm nervous about next week when Eric goes back to work.

I think we're doing okay. We are so happy and relieved that the surgery was successful. Eric and I didn't sleep last night because we had to watch Parker and make sure he didn't rub his eye or take his patch off. I'm emotional today. It's probably a combination of being tired and being overwhelmed at the recovery process. I think I was focusing so much on the surgery that I didn't realize all that would come after. So, if I don't return calls today, that's why. On the other hand, when Parker isn't getting drops or having to put the patch on, he's as happy as can be.

Thanks for all of your prayers. We feel them and we need them. The surgery for his left eye is now scheduled for February 19.

Here are some pictures from our adventures:

In recovery.
Last night at home, eating green pancakes again.
In the car this morning. All smiles about some chicken minis.
The drops.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I am so glad the surgery went well. Still praying for you guys...

Anonymous said...

Oh Yay! So glad he can tell his other eye is "dirty"! Still praying for you guys! I love those cute kids of yours!

KatieMGreen said...

you're a brave mama! glad all went well and you're feeling the prayers! :)

Anonymous said...

hey there. it's amber's friend, courtney. i just cannot imagine going through this with my child. i'll be praying for you guys. he is the cutest little patient i've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Sandi, thanks for pix and updates. Thinking about you. Praying for you. SOOOOO proud of you for digging out the very best for your little man; not taking no, not settling, for persevering. Your strength is inspiring. Good days ahead. Thank God for 2 "clean eyes" very soon!

Anonymous said...

Sandi, thanks for pix and updates. Thinking about you. Praying for you. SOOOOO proud of you for digging out the very best for your little man; not taking no, not settling, for persevering. Your strength is inspiring. Good days ahead. Thank God for 2 "clean eyes" very soon!